Friday, July 12, 2013

dreaming

Hello to my neglected corner of the world.  I've been dreaming lately...dreaming about my art and running a small business.  I hope someday my dream can come true.  Dreaming about having a cute studio all organized and decorated to my liking.

I don't understand how creative women jump start their businesses without losing sight of the sole purpose of creating art.  It seems so easy to get swept up in managing social media and wanting more and more and more then losing sight in why we make art to begin with.  How do they find balance, manage time and live off of their work?

Sorry I've been away for so long.  No promises that I'll be back soon.  Miss this place!  Life happens and blogging gets left behind.

1 comment:

  1. I used to work full time in industry, which permitted me time to make art. One day at work, I took a corsage I made for a lady to work. I got a LOT of people who wanted them. I didn't really want to sell them, but the cost of the flowers, floral tape, wire, baby's breath, ribbon, tulle, essential oil to make them smell real, and a decorative pin all added up, so I couldn't give them away. Although I charged just enough to pay for the materials, I will never do that again. It gave people the belief that my products were cheap and devalued the product because I wasn't being paid for my labor.

    I probably sold 300 of these around Mother's Day that year. I started resenting these corsages about half way through completing the orders. This was back in the late 80s, so there was no social media at that time, and internet was found mostly on college campuses in the form of chat groups. No photos, all DOS. So I didn't have to contend with that problem.

    What I learned at the time was, you can't devalue your work, even if these are your "friends" you are selling to. You have to love what you do, and want to do it FOREVER. Don't take on more orders than you can handle or that won't make you hate what you are making. Have fun, set realistic goals, and know your product.

    Having said all that, I've never sold anything artsy over the internet. I know some who do, choosing etsy and other outlets. I used to read their blogs, but now all they do is advertise what they are selling in their shop, or what new classes and workshops they are selling. That gets tiresome. You have to find a good balance, and also decide if you want brick and mortar, or internet, or both to sell your art.

    Obviously, I didn't help solve your problem because, like you, I don't know the answer. I DO know if you are good enough (and I really, really BELIEVE YOU ARE), the world will come to you because you've made a name for yourself.

    ReplyDelete